Thursday, November 11, 2010

If sad can be good then how great is happy

    I enjoyed doing my list of "top 5 tear jerking moments from movies I love" so I decided it needed a counterpart. Every Yin needs a Yang. "Without evil there can be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes." as Satan says in 'South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut'. So this will be my list of the top 5 happiest moments from films I love. These are not only films that inspire laughter but always make me feel better while watching them. Comfort food for the eyes, ears, & soul so to speak. ***WARNING: Potential spoiler alert. Some of these clips show the ends or important plot points of said movies. You have been warned!***

#5 Office Space 


    Office Space - Printer Smash

    I wanted the actual scene but licensing restrictions make that impossible. However it proves how much of a part of pop culture this scene is when Family Guy picks up on it. This whole movie is relatable which equals funny. From Lumbergh's incessant droning, to Milton's repressed psychotic behavior everyone has worked with people like these. The whole movie leaves you feeling happier than you came in. For me the funniest and most memorable scene from this feature is of course the Printer Smash. Don't we all want to mix violence and technology every now and then?

#4 Little Shop of Horrors

   Little Shop of Horrors - The Dentist Song

    I have literally worn out one VHS tape (this is what movies used to be recorded on for you youngsters) and two audio cassettes (again an outdated format that only serves to show my age) watching and listening to this movie. It never fails to make me smile. For me the pinnacle of happiness here is Steve Martin's song as the Dentist, Dr. Orin Scrivello, DDS. I sing along and when particularly wrapped up in character look for a friend to punch when he decks the nurse.

#3 Rat Race

   Rat Race - Jeep Climbs the Radar Tower

    This whole movie literally has me rolling on the floor when I watch it. If this list were for the funniest movies instead of just happy moments it would be number one hands down. While there are plenty of well thought out and choreographed scenes this one, for me, is the best. Perhaps its because you can't understand Blaine, Vince Vieluf. Or maybe its because Seth Green is such a pro at this type of character. Put them together in this scene and its comedy gold. Its like watching an old Looney Tunes cartoon. You know the general idea of what is about to happen but watching it unfold never gets old.

#2 Princess Bride

   The Princess Bride - Castle Onslaught Planning

    This movie is another of my favorites. Its the kind of movie you put in when you're home from work sick and feeling icky because you know it will make you feel better. For me this scene is the most brilliant in the film. I think this is mainly because Wesley is so matter of factly planning everything despite the fact he can't even move. That takes confidence not to mention a huge set of cahones.

#1 Monty Python & the Holy Grail

   Monty Python & the Holy Grail - Witch Trial

   This movie is a campy, hilarious romp through the tail of King Arthur. It is one of my favorite films and a must see for all geeks, nerds, gamers, & fans of all things funny. While the whole movie is wall to wall humor which leaves you feeling so warm and fuzzy inside its like you just got a hot tea enema while drinking a cappuccino in a hot cocoa  hot tub, this scene in particular is GENIUS. I defy you to watch this clip and not laugh at least once.

   Well that completes my list of movie clip happiness. I hope you are feeling happier than before you started reading this. Feel free to leave any comments about my choices or listing your own. Take care and have an awesome day!

1 comment:

  1. I quote Office Space ALL THE TIME!!!

    Oh, and showing your age with VHS and Cassettes??? I'm 12 years younger than you and I still used both of those things (not trying to make you feel old, by the way).

    Rat Race... total hilarity!

    ReplyDelete